India expresses concern after Iranian strikes target UAE nuclear facility
New Delhi: The foreign ministry on Sunday expressed deep concern after Iranian drones were targeted at the Barakah nuclear facility in the United Arab Emirates, calling the attack a “dangerous escalation” amid rising tensions in the Gulf.“India is deeply concerned by the attack targeting the Barakah nuclear facility in the UAE. Such actions are unacceptable and represent a dangerous escalation. We call for immediate restraint and a return to dialogue and diplomacy,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.Also read: UAE nuclear plant caught fire in drone attackThe response came after a fire at Abu Dhabi’s Barakah nuclear power plant following a drone strike. Emirati authorities said the strike hit an electrical generator outside the plant’s inner perimeter, although there were no injuries or radiological leaks. Officials have confirmed that security systems are intact and all units are functioning normally.The attack has intensified concerns over the fragile ceasefire between Iran, Israel and the US, with diplomatic efforts under increasing pressure. The United Arab Emirates accused those behind the strikes of carrying out an “unprovoked terrorist attack” and warned that it would not tolerate threats to its sovereignty.“These attacks are a dangerous escalation, an unacceptable act of aggression and a direct threat to the country’s security,” said the UAE’s foreign ministry.The International Atomic Energy Agency said emergency diesel generators were supplying power to one of the reactors when the strike caused a fire near the factory. The UN nuclear watchdog called for “maximum military restraint” around nuclear sites and said it was closely monitoring developments.The UAE’s defense ministry said three drones entered its airspace from the western border with Saudi Arabia, adding that two were intercepted before reaching their targets. Authorities have not formally blamed any country, although the UAE has previously accused Iran and allied groups of targeting energy infrastructure in the Gulf region during the ongoing conflict.The $20 billion Barakah plant, built with South Korean aid and operational since 2020, is the only nuclear power plant in the Arab world and supplies about a quarter of the UAE’s electricity needs.The latest strike comes as tensions between Tehran, Washington and Tel Aviv continue. US President Donald Trump has warned Iran that the “clock is ticking”, while Iranian officials insist their forces are ready despite diplomatic channels being open.