Autopsy hinting rape ignored, Bombay HC asks CBI to probe 2010 death | India News
MUMBAI: The Bombay High Court recently handed over the probe into the 2010 accidental death of a 13-year-old schoolgirl to the CBI, saying police did not consider an autopsy report that said in the last 24 hours before her death, she had been sexually assaulted. The police relied on an incomplete video recording and the statements of doctors who did not see the post-mortem, the high court said. It found “too many loose ends” in the girl’s death and said the police “did not even consider the serious possibility of rape along with murder”. The school took the students to a camp near Tungareshwar forest. They were playing in a stream and a teacher told them to get out as the current got stronger. Everyone left except the girl. She was taken away, the prosecution said, and her body was later found unclothed. In a February 10 order, a division bench of Justices Sarang Kotwal and Sandesh Patil said, “No inquiry was made from that angle. Non-recovery of clothes on the body was also an important aspect which needed to be investigated seriously.”